A sore throat can be uncomfortable and irritating, making it hard to eat and drink and generally making you feel unwell. Here are our top tips on how to help soothe a sore throat.
Causes of pain in the throat
Many things can cause a sore throat, including colds and flu, but in many cases it’s caused by an infection. Usually the symptoms go within one week and should be nothing to cause concern – but it’s important to see your Doctor if your symptoms are severe, your sore throat doesn’t clear up after a week or you have constant pain.
Treating a sore throat
Sore throats are common but their symptoms can be very unpleasant. Here are some treatments to help soothe the pain:
• Painkillers – paracetamol, for example, can help relieve pain
• Keep hydrated by drinking lots of cold or lukewarm non-alcoholic drinks
• Choose your food carefully by eating soft, cool foods that won’t hurt your throat, and avoid hot drinks
• Adults can gargle warm, salty water to help soothe a sore throat
• Avoid smoking and smoky places